Hiking & Trekking
Sitting round the bonfire and climbing a viewing tower are the crowning moments of every trip. Here, we provide some tips on lakeshore fireplaces and short nature routes all over Sodankylä. It’s good to arrive at the fireplaces listed with your own firewood. They are sold in handy bags in the supermarkets in the town centre, among other places.
A link to a map will open when you click on the name.
- On the shore of Lake Kelujärvi you will find a half-shelter and changing cabins. Have a picnic and a dip in this beautiful spot beside a quiet road.
- On the shore of River Riipijoki in a beautiful spot there is a half-shelter, a fireplace and a slipway with serene bog and lake views.
- In Unari on the lake shore there is a shelter and fireplace.
- In Ilmakkiaapa there is a 500-metre nature trail which brings you back to your starting point. No fireplace.
- In Tankavaara there is for example 1 and 3-kilometre nature paths in the kingdom of the slender spruces. There is a fireplace by the gate at the start of the paths.
- In Luosto on the shore of Lake Ahvenlampi there is a shelter maintained by the Metsähallitus with firewood and a lake and fell viewing point.
- The Pappilanniemi Nature Walk is close to the town centre of Sodankylä. There is also a sheltered fireplace on it.
The finest day trip destinations in Sodankylä
In different parts of Sodankylä, also outside the national parks, there are amazing day trip destinations. Some of the sites, such as Ilmakki and Viiankiaapa, are well suited even for inexperienced nature lovers, and with a low threshold you can also explore the Sodankylä Garrison, for example, on the 4.6 km winter walking route of Jääkärikangas. For skilled wilderness walkers, there are several wilderness destinations, such as the handsome Kaarestunturi area. See Sodankylä day trip destinations here.