Hiking & Trekking
Sitting round the bonfire and climbing a viewing tower are the crowning moments of every trip. Here, we provide some tips on lakeshore fireplaces and short nature routes all over Sodankylä. It’s good to arrive at the fireplaces listed with your own firewood. They are sold in handy bags in the supermarkets in the town centre, among other places.
A link to a map will open when you click on the name.
- On the shore of Lake Kelujärvi you will find a half-shelter and changing cabins. Have a picnic and a dip in this beautiful spot beside a quiet road.
- On the shore of River Riipijoki in a beautiful spot there is a half-shelter, a fireplace and a slipway with serene bog and lake views.
- In Unari on the lake shore there is a shelter and fireplace.
- In Ilmakkiaapa there is a 500-metre nature trail which brings you back to your starting point. No fireplace.
- In Tankavaara there is for example 1 and 3-kilometre nature paths in the kingdom of the slender spruces. There is a fireplace by the gate at the start of the paths.
- In Luosto on the shore of Lake Ahvenlampi there is a shelter maintained by the Metsähallitus with firewood and a lake and fell viewing point.
- The Pappilanniemi Nature Walk is close to the town centre of Sodankylä. There is also a sheltered fireplace on it.
Experience the lovely Paavonpolku nature trail
About a 10-minute drive from the centre of Sodankylä, Paavonpolku nature trail awaits you. The trail is well signposted and managed, and it begins by plunging into a beautiful old forest which has a shelter and fireplace on the riverbank. You can complete Paavonpolku in circles of 1.9 or 2.7 km. There is a second picnic site along the circle walk, beside which there is a steep, high viewing tower. At the departure point (map) there are clear signs, and there are information boards along the walk.
Find the natural sights of Sodankylä
The Pyhä-Luosto and Urho Kekkonen National Parks cover a significant proportion of the municipality of Sodankylä. Several firms operate in both parks, offering safaris and hiking equipment for hire, among other things. Read more:
You can get more information from the Sodankylä Tourist Information Office and the information map.